To many of us who grow up in Hong Kong, when someone raised the word Probiotics , the first thing that comes to mind is probably the Japanese probiotic milk beverage! Most of us might even learn about the health benefit of probiotics from the advertisement of this beverage. Yet, how much do you know about probiotics? What is its function? How do we obtain probiotics? How many probiotics do we need to maintain a healthy digestive system? If you are curious about probiotics, join us today for a tour of the health benefits of probiotics!
Intestinal Issues in Hong Kong
There is a saying that most sickness is the result of an unhealthy intestinal system. If you want to stay healthy, it is of utmost importance to maintain a healthy intestinal environment. However, many Hong Kong people reported that they are having various intestinal problems according to a survey conducted by Healthy Gut Education and Promotion Centre. The survey they carried out in 2020 showed that 47% of interviewees aged between 15-24 claimed that they have suffered from diarrhea, 43% from constipation, 30% from abdominal fullness and acid reflux. Worst still, the survey found out that all these intestinal infections will only get worse in interviewees from the older age group.
Reasons that lead to an unhealthy intestinal system are an unhealthy diet habit and stress accumulation. Hong Kong is a fast-paced metropolitan, everyone in the city lives a busy life with no doubt. Therefore, people developed unhealthy diet habits like skipping meals, over-rely on taking out and fast food, consuming too much meat but too little vegetable. Accumulating stress is also another cause of a poor intestinal system and various intestinal problems. Next time when you are feeling unwell in your stomach, make sure you will review both your diet habit and your stress level.
How can probiotic enhance our health
We know that probiotics are good for us, but in what way? We can find probiotics in food and health supplement . The function of probiotics is to balance different strains of bacteria to support healthy intestinal flora. On top of that, probiotics also have other benefits to our health, including:
- Relieve constipation and stomachache: Probiotics can boost intestinal movement and maintain a healthy intestinal environment.
- Relieve skin moisture sensitivity symptoms: Environmental factors can affect the growth of intestinal bacteria in young children. Many studies have found that the types of intestinal bacteria are closely related to skin problems. Probiotics strengthen the skin's immunity against environmental irritants.
- Weight management: Among all types of bacteria inside our intestine, some bacteria will make us gain weight, and some will help us lose weight. Probiotics can boost the formation of bacteria that help lose weight.
- Enhance immunity: In addition to being responsible for digestion and absorption, the intestinal tract is also an important immune organ of the human body. Studies have shown that probiotics in the gut can help strengthen immunity and reduce the risk of respiratory discomfort.
Food Rich in Probiotic
Eat more and be rich inProbiotic foodIt can restrain the proliferation of bad bacteria in the intestines, promote digestion and enhance nutrient absorption. Probiotics can usually be found in fermented foods. The following foods are all beneficial foods that are rich in probiotics. You might as well add them to your daily menu!
Probiotic Supplement Recommendations
Apart from adding fermented food to your diet, another easy way to boost the level of probiotics is to take some all-natural probiotic supplements !
- Children’s Natural Cherry Flavoured Probiotics: This chewable, naturally cherry-flavored tablet would be able to gain the affection of kids! The formula consists of 5 unique probiotic strains, providing children with 5 billion active probiotics to balance the intestinal. The tablet can also help strengthen the immune system of children.
- Charenda – Acai berry 4000 concentrated essence tablets (with Kakadu plum): Kakadu plums consist of antioxidants, anthocyanins, fatty acids (omega-3 & omega-6), natural flavonoids, various vitamins and minerals that can lower the chance of suffering from chronic diseases. On the other hand, acai berries can provide sufficient nutrition to maintain a healthy intestine system which can boost your immune system at the same time.
- Webber Naturals - Probiotic 30 Billion: With its advanced microencapsulation technology, this supplement is guaranteed potent. Containing eight strains of friendly bacteria to support healthy intestinal flora, digestive health, and immune system, the formula helps manage digestive discomforts like gas, bloating, and bowel irregularities.
- L'il Critters – Immune C + Zinc Children Gummies: This product provides your kid with Vitamin C to support immune health, Zinc for cellular support, and lots of Vitamin D for bone and teeth growth.