Most men over the age of 50 may need a multivitamin to support their health and improve their quality of life as they get older. Men over the age of 50 usually consist of dear seniors, uncles, fathers and veterans around us. Staying healthy, active and productive are some of the goals they admire as older adults. However, at old age, it becomes difficult getting enough vitamins and minerals. Due to their challenges, it is often advised for older adults to eat elderly healthy food and take at least one health product. In this article, we look at the reasons why older males need a multivitamin. We will also recommend some multivitamin products and consider other ways of getting more vitamins.
Why Men Over 50 Need A Multivitamin.
After the age of 50, people become less active; their metabolism slows, their energy requirement decreases. Due to these reasons, they need to eat less. Lacking enough vitamins and minerals has a huge effect on the physical condition, eye health, heart function, and immune system of the elderly. Some challenges faced by ageing adults include:
- Loss of appetite: ageing usually causes adults to experience changes in taste and smell. Due to this reason, most men over 50 eat limited food choices and lower intake of healthful foods.
- Lack of strong teeth and oral decline: After the age of 50, the teeth and gum become fragile. Sometimes, the teeth may become too weak and may fall off. At this stage, older men find it difficult to swallow food, which can affect food choice and intake.
- Difficult mobility: without assistance, older adults find it hard to shop for food or cook well-rounded meals rich in vitamins.
- Medication: Certain drug intake can affect nutrient levels in the body. This is because most drugs needs need enough quantities of some nutrients to treat a condition. For example, taking drugs like metformin can reduce vitamin B12 levels.
- Reduced absorption: Research suggests that adults above the age of 50 cannot absorb vitamin B12 effectively. Older adults may eat elderly health foods regularly or take a supplement to avoid deficiency.
Key Vitamins and Minerals for Older Men
- Vitamin A: functions as an antioxidant for ageing skin. Good for eye and immune health.
- B Vitamins: (Especially vitamin B6 and B12) Vitamin B6 supports eye function and prevents depression. Vitamin B12 is vital for brain health, energy metabolism and immune health.
- Vitamin C: supports the immune system and collagen production.
- Vitamin E: functions as an antioxidant and maintains immune function. Supports cell production.
- Calcium, Vitamin D, Potassium and Vitamin K: they support strong bones.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids: protect against heart disease, diabetes, and eye conditions.
Top Multivitamin Options for Men Over 50
Jamieson-Men's Full-Effect Multi-Vitamin 90 Capsules
The Jamieson full-effect multivitamin is a complete collection of abundant vitamins and minerals for men. It also features specially-picked herbal ingredients known to enhance vitality and immunity, fight against ageing. We selected this product because it is also formulated to promote heart, prostate, digestive, and eye health. As for the brand, Jamieson is a top Canadian company recognized for offering premium supplements made with natural ingredients. One tablet contains 100% of the recommended Daily Value (DV) for nearly all essential vitamins and minerals on the label. So, adults are advised to 1 caplet daily with a meal.
Kirkland Signature-Men's 50+ 365 Multivitamins and Minerals
This product is a rich blend of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It is formulated to support nearly all health needs in senior males. Each capsule protects the heart and promotes energy and metabolism. It also provides 300 mcg/0.3 mg of lycopene, which may preserve prostate health. The recommended dosage of this vitamin is one tablet per day. Kirkland is an American brand. The company produces their supplements in Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and quality checks. As a result, you can expect the highest quality and effectiveness from this multivitamin. This multivitamin is vegetarian and gluten- and dairy-free and contains no artificial flavours.
Centrum - Men 50+ Complete Multivitamin tablets
This general-purpose multivitamin contains a wide range of essential vitamins and minerals, including antioxidants such as vitamin C, selenium, and vitamin A. Presently, The Centrum Men 50+ Multivitamin has gathered much recognition on the market with its positive reviews. The Centrum Men 50+ Multivitamin is designed to support senior males with any nutrient requirement that they may be lacking. Each capsule contains the daily recommended levels of calcium, vitamin D, and iodine. It has no artificial colours or flavours.
Webber Naturals-Men's 50+ All-in-One Vitamin 90 Vegetarian Capsules
This is one of the latest products on the market for men over 50 years. It provides more than 55 essential nutrients extracted from 28 vegetables and fruits. This multivitamin is highly absorbed into the body and is a suitable choice for vegetarians. The product is specially formulated to maintain bone, cardiovascular health, eyes and immune system health. It is also designed to promote natural, healthy energy and reproductive functions. Webber naturals offer the Webber Naturals-Men's 50+ multivitamin. This brand is known to use only the most natural ingredients in its production. Adults are advised to take one capsule per day.
Diet Advice for Men Over 50
Many men fall short of the daily recommended amounts of vitamins and minerals. They are always at risk of nutrients such as protein, omega-3 fatty acids, dietary fibre, vitamins B6, B12, and E; calcium; magnesium; and potassium. Studies also discovered that older males do not drink enough water to stay hydrated. So, every man above the age of 50 is advised to ensure a good diet by eating whole grains, fruits and vegetables, fish, nuts, lean protein sources, and low-fat dairy. In addition, older men should drink a cup of water every morning. They are also advised to stop eating highly processed food or high saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt, and added sugars. Apart from diet, older men may benefit from the regular intake of a multivitamin supplement. This will avoid nutrient deficiency and promote their daily body function.