As the age grows, most men over 50 may needMultivitaminTo maintain a healthy body and improve their quality of life. Among the group of men over 50 years old are our dear elders, uncles, fathers and veterans. Maintaining health and vitality is what they seek, however, as they age, they often struggle to get enough vitamins and minerals. For the challenges they face, they are usually advised to eat foods suitable for the elderly and take at least oneHealth products. This article will tell you why elderly men need multivitamins, and then we will recommend some multivitamin products and more good ways to take vitamins.
Why Men Over 50 Need A Multivitamin.
After the age of 50, people become less active; their metabolism slows, their energy requirement decreases. Due to these reasons, they need to eat less. Lacking enough vitamins and minerals has a huge effect on the physical condition, eye health, heart function, and immune system of the elderly. Some challenges faced by ageing adults include:
- Loss of appetite: ageing usually causes adults to experience changes in taste and smell. Due to this reason, most men over 50 eat limited food choices and lower intake of healthful foods.
- Lack of strong teeth and oral decline: After the age of 50, the teeth and gum become fragile. Sometimes, the teeth may become too weak and may fall off. At this stage, older men find it difficult to swallow food, which can affect food choice and intake.
- Difficult mobility: without assistance, older adults find it hard to shop for food or cook well-rounded meals rich in vitamins.
- Medication: Certain drug intake can affect nutrient levels in the body. This is because most drugs needs need enough quantities of some nutrients to treat a condition. For example, taking drugs like metformin can reduce vitamin B12 levels.
- Reduced absorption: Research suggests that adults above the age of 50 cannot absorb vitamin B12 effectively. Older adults may eat elderly health foods regularly or take a supplement to avoid deficiency.
Key Vitamins and Minerals for Older Men
- Vitamin A: functions as an antioxidant for ageing skin. Good for eye and immune health.
- B vitamins: (especially vitamins B6 and B12) Vitamin B6 supports eye function and emotional health. Vitamin B12 is essential for brain health, energy metabolism and immune health.
- Vitamin C: supports the immune system and collagen production.
- Vitamin E: functions as an antioxidant and maintains immune function. Supports cell production.
- Calcium, Vitamin D, Potassium and Vitamin K: they support strong bones.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: May help stabilize blood sugar levels, maintain blood vessel health, and prevent eye diseases.
Top Multivitamin Options for Men Over 50
Jamieson-Men's Full-Effect Multi-Vitamin 90 Capsules
The Jamieson full-effect multivitamin is a complete collection of abundant vitamins and minerals for men. It also features specially-picked herbal ingredients known to enhance vitality and immunity, fight against ageing. We selected this product because it is also formulated to promote heart, prostate, digestive, and eye health. As for the brand, Jamieson is a top Canadian company recognized for offering premium supplements made with natural ingredients. One tablet contains 100% of the recommended Daily Value (DV) for nearly all essential vitamins and minerals on the label. So, adults are advised to 1 caplet daily with a meal.
The Jamieson-Men's multivitamin is available for purchase online
Kirkland Signature-Men's 50+ 365 Multivitamins and Minerals
This product is a rich blend of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It is formulated to support nearly all health needs in senior males. Each capsule protects the heart and promotes energy and metabolism. It also provides 300 mcg/0.3 mg of lycopene, which may preserve prostate health. The recommended dosage of this vitamin is one tablet per day. Kirkland is an American brand. The company produces their supplements in Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and quality checks. As a result, you can expect the highest quality and effectiveness from this multivitamin. This multivitamin is vegetarian and gluten- and dairy-free and contains no artificial flavours.
Kirkland Signature-Men's 50+ 365 multivitamins and minerals can be purchased online
Centrum - Men 50+ Complete Multivitamin tablets
This general-purpose multivitamin contains a wide range of essential vitamins and minerals, including antioxidants such as vitamin C, selenium, and vitamin A. Presently, The Centrum Men 50+ Multivitamin has gathered much recognition on the market with its positive reviews. The Centrum Men 50+ Multivitamin is designed to support senior males with any nutrient requirement that they may be lacking. Each capsule contains the daily recommended levels of calcium, vitamin D, and iodine. It has no artificial colours or flavours.
The Centrum - Men 50+ Complete Multivitamin is available for purchase online
Webber Naturals-Men's 50+ All-in-One Vitamin 90 Vegetarian Capsules
This is one of the newest products on the market for men over 50. It provides over 55 essential nutrients extracted from 28 types of vegetables and fruits. This multivitamin is highly absorbed by the body and is suitable for vegetarians. This product is specially formulated to support bone, cardiovascular health, eye and immune system health. This product is also specially designed to boost energy. Weber-Gen is known to use only the most natural ingredients in its production, and the same goes for its 50+ Men's Multivitamin formula. Adults are recommended to take one capsule per day.
The Webber Naturals-Men's 50+ All-in-One Multivitamin is available for purchase online
Diet Advice for Men Over 50
Many men fall short of the daily recommended amounts of vitamins and minerals. They are always at risk of nutrients such as protein, omega-3 fatty acids, dietary fibre, vitamins B6, B12, and E; calcium; magnesium; and potassium. Studies also discovered that older males do not drink enough water to stay hydrated. So, every man above the age of 50 is advised to ensure a good diet by eating whole grains, fruits and vegetables, fish, nuts, lean protein sources, and low-fat dairy. In addition, older men should drink a cup of water every morning. They are also advised to stop eating highly processed food or high saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt, and added sugars. Apart from diet, older men may benefit from the regular intake of a multivitamin supplement. This will avoid nutrient deficiency and promote their daily body function.