Methylsulfonylmethane which is often abbreviated to MSM, is a naturally occurring nutrient found in our body. This nutrient is made up of sulfur, oxygen, and some other chemicals. MSM is found in the food we eat. It can also be made in a laboratory. Some diets rich in MSM include fruits, vegetables, grains, port wine, coffee, tea, and cow’s milk. MSM is widely recognized because it can easily penetrate our tissues and cells and make them function properly. Due to this reason, MSM has a lot of health benefits, including relief against joint pain, osteoarthritis, and muscle soreness. Today, Scientists have investigated MSM in several animal experiments, as well as in humans. MSM is sold as a nutritional supplement to help people enjoy its variety of health-promoting purposes. This article briefly highlights the uses of MSM and how it actually works.
Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM): How It Works In The Body?
The main benefits of MSM are anti-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory properties, as well as having antioxidant properties. Science has shown that this substance is easily absorbed by cells in the body, which helps to eliminate free radicals and anti-inflammatory, so MSM can quickly enter important organs and tissues in our body (such as muscles, tendons and cartilage tissues), promoting They function normally. Plus, the naturally occurring sulfides in MSM help flush out heavy metals and promote liver health.
Top Benefits of Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM)
- Can relieve knee joint discomfort: MSM can help patients with bone and joint discomfort relieve pain and joint swelling symptoms. In a randomized trial, scientists gave 20 patients 3 grams of MSM daily for three weeks, and they experienced improvements in bone stiffness, pain and joint swelling. MSM is an anti-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory substance that can help maintain healthy tendon and cartilage tissue. MSM can be taken alone or with nutritional supplements such as glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, or boswellic acid. Experiments have shown that taking MSM, glucosamine, and chondroitin sulfate for 12 weeks can relieve pain in patients with bone and joint discomfort.
- MSM Improves Joint Motion and Flexibility: Apart from the knee, MSM is also useful in improving the flexibility of several other joints of the body. In an experiment conducted on patients suffering from lower back pain, MSM supplements were studied to reduce the lower back pain and improve their quality of life. Similar experiments were also conducted on patients having spinal joint disease and degenerative disc disease. However, there is still little evidence to conclude that MSM is effective for spinal or joint disease.
- MSM Reduces Muscle Soreness Associated With Exercise: Stressful exercise can cause our muscles to be sore and damaged. As a powerful anti-inflammatory, MSM can help the body recover from exercise by healing those muscle strains and inflammation caused by exercise. Also, the sulfur content found in MSM helps heal connective tissue, reduce muscle fatigue and increase its antioxidant capacity.
- MSM Promotes Skin Quality and Texture: Research has discovered that using a lotion containing MSM may have significant effects on the skin. MSM creams and lotions have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Due to this reason, they can cure mild sunburn on the skin. Another experiment was also conducted on a group of people who used MSM creams for a period of two weeks. The result showed good improvement on their skin pigmentation, their skin elasticity, and also reduced wrinkling.
Other benefits of MSM include its use in the treating:
- Dental disease
- Leg cramps
- Premenstrual syndrome(PMS)
- Scar tissue
- Stomach upset
Is MSM safe?
MSM is highly safe and well-tolerated in the body. Studies suggest that taking a prescribed dosage of MSM has no side effects. Additionally, the United States Food and Drug Administration certifies MSM as “safe for consumption.” More so, MSM can be safely combined with other supplements for faster results. These supplements may include glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, MSM, guava leaf extract, and Vitamin D.
Tips for taking MSM supplements
MSM supplements are available in capsule or powder form, and people can buy them online. Ordinarily, the oral dosage of MSM starts between 1 and 6 grams daily. On average, most people take a daily dosage of 3 grams of MSM to enjoy the health benefits. Read the label and always stick to the prescribed dosage of an MSM supplement. Taking more MSM than the prescribed dose does not appear to provide better results. You can also find creams containing MSM for the skin. But always look for a product that specifies how much MSM it contains and how often to apply it.
MSM is a compound naturally found in the body and is a macronutrient that can be obtained from food. MSM contains high amounts of sulfides, which help maintain liver health. Moreover, MSM also has strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects, which is very helpful for treating bone and joint pain and discomfort. The safety factor is high, and the effect of taking it in conjunction with joint supplements such as glucosamine is better.