Fish oil has been a well-known name to most of us includes newbies to health supplements. The reason for its high popularity owes to its high omega-3 profile. Omega-3 fatty acids carry numerous benefits to our health, both physically and mentally. Today we will be looking through the nutrition value and benefits of fish oil so you can learn more about this health supplement superstar.
Nutrition Value of Fish Oil
The family of omega fatty acids consists of mainly three members: Omega-3, Omega-6, and Omega-9. The three omega fatty acids consists various health benefits, including strengthening the immune system, fighting against inflammation, preventing and managing heart diseases, as well as promoting brain health. Among the family tree, omega-3 is the most beneficial nutrition to the human body. Given that omega-3 is the main component of our cell membranes, having a certain amount of omega-3 in our body can improve risk factors for heart disease, relieve arthritis, prevent cancer, and even fight depression. Although the human body cannot produce an omega-3 fatty acid, we can absorb that via deep-sea fishes like salmon, mackerel, and pike.
Omega-3 fish oil contains both docosahexaenoic acid (also known as DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (also known as EPA):
- EPA: The function of EPA is to ease inflammation and fight depression. Besides, EPA can also prevent heart and chronic illness, arthritis, and high blood sugar, lipid, and pressure conditions. EPA can also alleviate symptoms of menopause.
- DHA: DHA is vital for brain development and function. For the elderly, it can help prevent the onset of Alzheimer’s disease. For children, a sufficient amount of DHA can boost learning abilities. At the same time, lower the risk of ADHD and the possibility of having aggressive hostility. At the same time, research shows that DHA also supports healthy vision and skin.
Benefits of Taking Fish Oil
The rich nutrition profile of fish oil is very beneficial to our human body:
- Reduce the likelihood of heart attack and stroke: The American Heart Association pointed out that fish oil and omega-3 could avoid the clogging of arteries, which reduces the chance of heart attack and stroke.
- Support healthy brain function: DHA is a vital component of the formation of our brain cells. It makes sure the proper functionality of the brain, carries nutrition, and eliminates brain cell waste. Therefore, omega-3 can help us focus better by speeding up the speed messages flow through the brain.
- Protect the retina: Omega-3 composes more than 50% of our retina! Therefore having a sufficient amount of omega-3 in our body will help protect our eyes.
- Lessen the chance of cancer: British journal Gut suggested that people who take the omega-3 supplement and fish oil are 41% less likely to have bowel cancer than people that don’t take an omega-3 supplement.
- Ease depression: According to Harvard University, Omega-3 fatty acid consists of a property that can fight away depression.