A survey conducted by the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare of Japan revealed that with a record of women living up to 88.13 years old and men living up to 82.34 years old, the average lifespan of Hong Kong people continues to be the longest among all countries. While longevity is becoming the new norm, nobody would want any sickness to be their companion to enjoy one’s elderly life! That is why we need to take care of our physical and mental health in advance so that we can all live up to our dreams and the way we want to enjoy life!
Common Elderly Health Issues
Though it is inevitable for us to become more prone to diseases and sickness as we get older, we can always act up to prevent getting sick and delay the process of aging! Let’s take a look at the most common elderly health issues Hong Kong elderlies faces, and learn how to protect ourselves against them.
- 1.Depression: Backing out from their familiar working position, facing every big and small life change, losing clear direction, and dependence might cause enormous mental stress to the elderly.
- 2.Dementia: A sudden and rapid deterioration of the brain system will lead to memory loss, the loss of the ability to think and judge, as well as an unstable mental status.
- 3.Diabetes: Consuming too much food that is high in fats, cholesterol, and sugar is a huge cause of diabetes. Diabetes will affect one’s vision, causing one to feel dizzy, and is also capable of arousing heart diseases.
- 4.High Blood Pressure: Apart from obesity, various chronic diseases might also lead to high blood pressure. Patients will have to endure headaches, dizziness, and breathing problems when their blood pressure is too high, and it is also possible for them to suffer from heart disease and stroke.
- 5.Coronary Heart Disease: When cholesterol accumulates in the blood vessel, arterial stiffness will happen, leading to coronary heart disease. The most dangerous point of coronary heart disease is it will cause sudden death of patients.
- 6.Osteoporosis: The bone tissue of the elderly is fragile because of a rapid calcium loss. Not only will it cause bone fractures, but also ostalgia and humpback.
- 7.Flu: The immunity system will get weaker as we grow older, while a slower metabolism system will lead to a slower recovery speed.
Secrets to Elderly Health
While the elderly is a stage when one needs to face changes in daily routine, it is also an opportunity for one to explore their hobby and interest in different things. Having a hobby is the best way to ease stress, and complementing sufficient nutrition is another best tip for you to enjoy elderly life to the fullest! Check out our carefully selected health supplement recommendations to support a healthy, happy elderly life.
- Charenda – Celery 3500 + Bilberry 5000 Tablet with Kakadu Plum: Celery seeds are rich in omega-6 fatty acids, which have excellent anti-inflammatory effects and can promote urinary tract health. Blueberries are rich in anthocyanins, which can strengthen eye function and delay eye aging. The formula has included Kakadu plum, a superfood from Australia which is rich in vitamin C and can boost one’s immune system.
- Webber Naturals – Triple Strength Omega-3: With no fishy-aftertaste, the natural and highly concentrated omega 3 in this formula supports cardiovascular health and healthy brain function. It can also protect healthy vision, skin, and maintain a healthy mood balance.
- Centrum - Adult 50+ Multivitamin Gummies: These assorted fruity flavored gummies are packed with various vitamins and minerals that the age group of 50+ needs. Just one gummy could help you to maintain a healthy heart, brain, stronger bones, and immunity system.
- BLACKMORES – Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg: Evening Primrose Oil is rich in omega 6 fatty acid and gamma-linoleic acid, nutrients that are vital in maintaining healthy skin, nails, and hair. The formula can also lower high blood pressure, protect our liver, as well as improve menopausal syndrome, and delay aging.
- Jamieson – Adult 50+ Natural Probiotics Extra Strength Formula: Designed to balance the intestinal flora of 50+ adults. The formula contains 10 unique probiotic strains and can promote gastrointestinal digestion to boost the immune system.