You might have heard that fish can make kids smarter and it’s not wrong. A study shows that kids who ate fish at least once a week had high points on IQ tests and better sleep. Although the study cannot prove that they are associated, it’s true that Omega-3-rich foods, like fish and nuts, are good for the brain because people seem to have larger intelligence-related brain development if they have more Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids in their blood. Nowadays, many people in Hong Kong buy fish oil supplements for Omega-3 fatty acids. In addition to “being smart”, what are the benefits of fish oil to our bodies? How much should we have each day? And when should we have them? Read on for our conclusions and suggestions.
What is Fish Oil?
Fish oil is the fat or oil extracted from oily fish, such as sardines, tuna, trout, salmon, anchovies, and mackerel. Also, fish oil is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids usually in the form of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), which can reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke. Since the human body cannot synthesize Omega-3 fatty acids on its own, Omega-3 fatty acids can only be supplemented through diet.
Compared with vegetables, Omega-3 in fish oil is easier to be converted and utilized by the human body. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends at least 1-2 portions of fatty fish every week to maintain the intake of Omega-3. However, fish cannot produce Omega-3 either. Omega-3 is accumulated in fish through the biological concentration effect when they eat plankton. At the same time, as high-level predators in the food chain, these carnivorous fish also accumulate a large number of toxins in their bodies. Therefore, it is recommended to avoid overeating carnivorous fish and consider taking Omega-3 through fish oil supplements.
Who needs Omega-3?
- those who don’t like fish
- office workers who overuse their eyes or have an unhealthy diet
- students who want to keep their minds clear
- the elders who need to improve their memory and stay healthy
Who should NOT have fish oil?
*Those with insufficiency of blood coagulation
- those who allergic to fish/seafood
- pregnant women who are over 32 weeks pregnant
- people who are going to have surgery recently
- people taking drugs that interact with fish oil
There are three types of omega-3 fatty acids: Alpha-linolenic Acid (ALA), Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA), and Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA). Omega-3 fatty acids have many potential benefits for your cardiovascular health.
Consistent use of fish oil supplements may reduce the risk of cardiovascular problems. Studies have pointed out that people who are accustomed to eating more fish have a much lower chance of developing cardiovascular problems than those who eat little or no fish. Long-term consumption of fish or fish oil may help stabilizeblood pressure,Cholesterol and triglyceride levels, protect blood vessels and maintain heart health.
DHA is the main component to maintain the retina of the eye. Omega-3 deficiency may increase the risk of eye diseases. Long-term supplementation of Omega-3 can maintain visual acuity, improve eye dryness, and reduce eye surface damage; Omega-3 also helps reduce photooxidation Damage to the macula, combined with other nutrients, may reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration.
DHA and EPA in fish oil can maintain skin health, save skin from ultraviolet rays and excessive aging, promote wound healing, and prevent melanin production. Some studies have shown that fish oil can reduce the symptoms of dry and itchy skin.
The cell membranes of various parts of the human body contain Omega-3, and 60% in the brain cell membrane is fat, most of which are Omega-3 (DHA), so supplementing enough Omega-3 can maintain brain health, increase cerebral blood flow, and improve memory and responsiveness, promote brain development of infants and young children, improve children's inattention problems, and stabilize emotions (EPA).
5.Reduces Liver Fat
Nowadays, liver disease is more and more common, especially in obese people. Fish oil can help reduce the fat in the liver, reduce the occurrence of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, and improve liver function.
Inflammation occurs when the immune system fights an infection, detoxifies, or invades a foreign body. Anti-inflammation may help prevent diseases associated with long-term chronic inflammation. Unsaturated fatty acids in fish oil may reduce pro-inflammatory cytokines in the body and improve joint pain and stiffness.
7.Help Lose Weight
Fish oil may reduce the risk of heart problems in obese people, promote fat metabolism, muscle growth, and even reduce appetite. Therefore, appropriate fish oil supplementation combined with diet and exercise can be helpful for weight management, especially for reducing waist circumference and waist-to-hip ratio.
Food Sources of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
We can get Omega-3 fats from fatty fish, algae, and several high-fat plant foods like flaxseed. Fish and seafood sources of omega-3 are higher in DHA and EPA, while plant sources tend to be higher in ALA.
Fatty fish high in Omega-3: Mackerel, Salmon, Herring, Sardines, Whitefish, Anchovies, and Tuna.
How should I take fish oil supplements?
It’s okay to take fish oil at any time of day, but you can take it alongside a meal to maximize its absorption in the body. Studies have shown that taking fish oil with food can reduce side effects associated with the supplement, such as acid reflux and indigestion.
World Health Organization recommends 300mg~500mg each day for healthy adults. And Food and Drug Administration (US) suggests that 3g per day is the maximum combined food resources and extra supplements for any health conditions.
- Side Effects
Taking fish oil might lead to burps, nausea, diarrhea, mild skin rash, nosebleed, and anorexia. To avoid or reduce these side effects, you can start with a small dose and take the fish oil with your meal, and consult with your doctor.
Because fish oil has anti-blood coagulation effects, it may increase the risk of bleeding. Therefore, in addition to seafood allergies, people with blood coagulation insufficiency, people who have recently planned to undergo surgery, and pregnant women who are more than 32 weeks pregnant are not recommended to take fish oil. If necessary Ask your doctor or pharmacist first.
Also, fish oil should not be taken with drugs that may interact, such as aspirin, contraceptives, Orlistat, and so on. Consult with your doctor before adding fish oil to your list of supplements.
Gogo Herbs Fish Oil
- Triple strength Omega-3 fatty acids, one per day
– Protect vision, maintain cardiovascular health, improve brain function
- Use enteric-coated capsule technology to avoid fishy smelly and be easier to swallow
- Molecular distillation of fish oil to ensure the purity of fish oil
- Sufficient omega-3 unsaturated fatty acids (EPA & DHA), EPA up to 55%
– May help stabilize plasma triglycerides, resting heart rate and blood pressure, and maintain heart health
- Support the function of the nervous system and improve memory and concentration by promoting brain cell activity
- Meets high-quality standards, has no fishy smell, and is rich in natural omega-3 fatty acids
– May help stabilize blood pressure, blood lipids and cholesterol levels, and effectively maintain cardiovascular health
- Maintains the normal functioning of brain cells and supports eye health
- High quality, high purity, cover the fishy smell with natural materials
- Maintains cardiovascular health, protects the heart, and improves brain health
– Protect eyesight, anti-inflammation
- From salmon in Canada’s pollution-free waters
- Cold-pressed extraction technology, no chemical solvent, no fishy smell
– May help stabilize blood cholesterol and triglycerides, maintain cardiovascular health
- Maintains nerve conduction and the normal functioning of brain cells
About Gogo Herbs
Gogo Herbs choose the most suitable healthcare products for our customers from famous brands in the market to achieve "health for all". Also, Gogo Herbs provides a convenient online ordering process, as well as a fast delivery service to ensure that you can easily obtain the health products you need. What’s more, experienced customer service representatives and health consultants will provide you with professional services after understanding your health needs to make a personalized nutrition plan.